Just another Prague thing pt.4

 When my mum asked over the phone: "Is everything ok, you seem a bit dull?", it was then that I realized that weather actually does affect me and that I couldn't survive in Denmark, for example. It was so gloomy and rainy for a while now, and it wasn't even a real rain. It seemed like clouds were just drooling over the city and calling those earthworms out on the sidewalk. How the hell is there so much of them in the city?! I felt like I'm witnessing a worm massacre while the people were casually walking over them, like nothing was there. I swear, you couldn't make a step without realizing they are right under your foot, and there's nothing you can do about it. It was horrifying.
So imagine my jubilance when the Sun popped out on the horizon. Instant happiness, I tell you. Pop those sunglasses on, and let's go sun dipping. Where better than at one of few islands on Vltava? I chose Shooters Island for this occasion, and I made the right choice.

The view of the Charles bridge and the city is extraordinary...
...and the view of those hang out buddies is just too adorable





Shooters Island is located right in the middle of the Vltava river almost in the center of Prague. Just hop on the Legions Bridge and take the stairway down to the island when you are about half way across the river and you're there. The island is called Shooters Island as various hunters and archers have used the island over the last 100 years or so.

Put on some music and lay on the beach, pleasure guaranteed 
When one gets hungry from all the walking on a day like this, one does not simply go to some closed restaurant. Just grab a take out and sit in the park surrounded by nature, Černy sculptures and the perfect view.

Černy really loves his babys
Tip: it's not always a good idea to order something if you have no idea what it is, in a Vietnamese restaurant



This place, Kampa park, offers a peaceful place to visit in order to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. It's located on a false island cut off from the central parts of the city by a mill and so called "Devil's stream", just off the Charles Bridge famous for it's row of 30 statues of saints. The features of this park include strange and slightly disturbing sculptures of giant, crawling, faceless babies by Prague's renowned sculptor David Černy, a few cafes and restaurants and a whole bunch of greenery to boot. 

How would you call this if not disturbing? 
When you walk around the whole day, you might bump into some strange things. There I was, casually strolling by the river, admiring the view, breathing in that sunny day, when I saw a pink pigeon. Why me? Why now? I just arrived here, I'm only 21... Why should I go mad this early? Maybe it's just a transient hallucination. Yes. Everything will be alright. And then it flies in front of me once again. I'm doomed. 

Turned out I wasn't going mad, after all. There were really pink pigeons. The Ukrainian guy that breeds them walked to me during my second "I must be crazy" moment to ask if I'm alright and am I afraid of his pigeons, cause, you know, people usually love pink pigeons. I felt like hugging him. He just announced I'm normal. And his pigeons flew back to him. OMG, now when I looked at them.. they were gorgeous. And so cuddly. Pigeons can actually be cuddly. I was like, "Can I bring them home?", and he was like, "Hey kid, you wanna ruin my business?"... But he laughed and joyfully lend me those adorable little creatures to cuddle, and he even took photos of us. Heartbroken, I left them there wondering if I will bump into them again. 

Just 😍
That day, inspired by pigeons haha for the first time since in Prague, I went to the famous Charles Bridge. I finally succumbed under touristic stuff. Had to happen sooner or later. I could see why it was so famous crossing from one dark saint sculpture to another, stunned and breathless. But could not stand the crowd anymore, so I flew to the other side and into the small streets with less people. Phew. These small narrow stone streets somehow always amaze me, but when I saw Shakespeare and sons bookstore inbetween the buildings. I was overwhelmed.

Instant joy

In love with this place

This beauty is just near the Charles Bridge, on the way to Malostranska, and not only you can buy books here, but you can collapse in one of the comfortable chairs downstairs and scroll trough the books. You can find almost anything, from classics to newly famous bestsellers, biographies, music books etc. It's a pitty I didn't have that much time that day, but will go back again for sure, and I would recommend you to visit it if you're a bookworm like myself.

What do you do when you hear about this amazing hang out group and city tours every week? You go there for the next meeting, of course. That's how my friend and I ended up joining the World war 2 tour with the Hang out squad, and we loved it. It's not like there was something we didn't know (I mean, hello, we watched Czech history movies 😝), but it was damn fun. The group consisted of a bunch of young people, mostly students on exchange from all over the world, and the guide was awesome. The other thing is, you don't have to pay high prices for a good tour. With this one, you are not obliged on anything, you can actually join and stick to the end, and if you liked the tour you give symbolic 100CZK. If not, you don't have to pay. But it's worth it, and trust me, after such a great tour like this, you would feel really bad for not paying it. They make different tours every week and put it on facebook, so you can easily see when and where to go for a meet up, and you don't have to confirm you arrival or anything. Just go with the flow. If you're interested in these, you can find all the info on fb page: Prague Hang-out friends

Glance at the group
Also, it's good when you have a foodie as a friend, and she knows all the best places and things to eat in the city, even though she's here for what, like three weeks maybe? Don't be judgy and try everything new. I know they are eating jam with stew, but hey, maybe you'll like it too. This week I tried the famous Old Prague's ham and some duck and cabbage dish I forgot the name of haha but it was great.

You can try this at the main square
and this one, as my foodie friend would recommend, at Hradčanska street
















For this time there is one more thing I feel like telling you.

One of the things I tend to enjoy the most are alone night walks, cause in those you can discover more than just the city itself and create feelings and memories that will stick in your mind and soul forever.

And you know what, don't plan everything in forward, sometimes it's better to just wander around new city examining and absorbing all the magnificent sights and things you see. Leave the map back home and stroll down the streets like you know exactly where are you going, and remember, not all those who wander are lost.

Until the next time,

Hugs&Kisses

Primjedbe

Popularni postovi s ovog bloga

From Budapest to Prague

Sweden, the land of Vikings, IKEA and ABBA

Just another Prague thing pt1.